Photography Education Resources
Printed Books for Photographers
Resources for Print-On-Demand Books for Photographers
Print-On-Demand Book Publishers
- Blurb - Blurb has become the standard for print-on-demand books with their very high-quality books and standalone software for both Macs and PCs. Lots of options, tons of layouts and designs. Probably one of the best choices for making books. They also offer an online sales option for your published books.
- Step-By-Step Video guide - Blurb has a great video tutorial on making a book
- Scan it like you mean it - A nice post from the Blurb Blog about scanning things other than photographs to make your book
- Blurb on Color Management for Books - Great info on how to get the color you expect in your final book.
- Blurb's Photo Book Now competition - Check out the entries in the student book category here
- Prepping your images for Blurb books - resolution and more
- Type for your book - Blurb's articles on typography Part 1 and Part 2
- E-Books in Blurb - Not perfect, and only compatible with Apple products (iPhone, iPad, etc) but it's easy to take your existing Blurb project and create an ebook out of it.
- Blurb tips and tricks - some neat tidbits about using their software
- MagCloud - HP's entry into the print on demand world. Inexpensive, good quality, "magazine-like" format. Easy and good-looking e-publications are possible, too. There's a bit more "grunt-work" to make this MagCloud work than, say, Blurb, though.
- MyPublisher - Some photographers like the cover and size options that this print-on-demand company has.
- Book service comparison article redux - Another really good comparison of various book publishing companies
- Printing Industry Terms - Don't knowyour bleed from your blueline? Check here!
Other Options and Ideas:
- iBooks Author - There are lots of ways to make an e-book, but iBooks Author is probably one of the best
- How to make a Chapbook - A nice tutorial in 2 parts: Part 1 & Part 2
- Russell Brown on Handmade books via Photoshop: You've got to scroll down
to the books section of the page (nearly to the bottom) to see these
nice movies about a neat idea